Wednesday 15 May 2013

COP2 : THEORY INTO PRACTICE - design development

Swapping Identities :

After thinking about ways I could possibly create a contrast and dialog about the identity of Beyonce comparing it to iconic female musicians of the past, I have decided to experiement with swapping the identitys over, so that Beyonce becomes the other musician and vise versa. This will show both artists in a completely different light and will highlight the differences in image today compared to back when the older artist was from.

Etta James - Beyonce

Using photoshop I have manipulated Beyonce and Etta James's face so that they take on each others identity. I feel it has not been very sucesful placing Etta James's face onto Beyonce image, it just doesnt look right, I dont know whether this is because i am more familiar with the Beyonce cover or just badly photoshoped. I do however really like the effect of placing Beyonce's face onto Etta James's vinyl cover, it completely alters the meaning of the image and title of the song, it adds a feel of class rather than being a song all about forfilling the males desires.



Dionne Warwicke - Beyonce

I am going to try again swapping identities to see if it does work to do the 'swap. This time I have decided to use Dionne Warwicke as part of the swap. Once again I dont think the 'swap' aspect of this design has worked well, Dionne Warwicke on Beyonce's body, like with Etta James just really doesnt work. The image of Beyonce is burned too deeply into my mind, I recognise the image straight away as Beyonce so it just doesnt work seeing someone else's head there.

Once again thought I really enjoy the look of placing Beyonce's head onto Dionne's image. It again changes the meaning of the song, and shows how poweful image is, that it can alter the meanings of messeges. 




I have decided to go forward with this idea but without the swaping over. I wil just use Beyonce's face and place it on other Musicians image.

I will now generate a list of 25 iconic women in the music industry, as Beyonce has released 25 singles and I want to use a different musician image for each single, which will help show th viriety of different ways women can represent themselves and how it alters meanings.

No comments:

Post a Comment