Tuesday 9 April 2013

RESPONSIVE : BREIF - Wedding

Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory :

The concept of this brief was all centred around the Wonka golden ticket chocolate bar so naturally i need to look into the design of the wonka bar -


Classic :


Above is the classic wonka bar from the original film in 1971. it is a recognisable design that has become the classic  wonka bar, out of all the wonka bars I have looked at whilst researching this classic style is probably my favourite, and will work well for the wedding favour as it is recognisably a wonka bar. I do appreciate though that this style is very over done when people want to create things like invitation etc so I will try and make the design not be gimmicky and look more classic.


Modern :


This is  the more updated version of the Wonka bar. It is the design that they used in the 2005 remake of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. In the movie they had different flavors of chocolate bar with different wrappers. The wrapper is not a recognisable by design, but you would obviously know it was a wonka bar by the name. 

 

This is the Wonka bar that is sold in shops produced by nestle, I think it looks too much like the milka chocolate bar. The hat and the gold teamed up with the name makes it obvious it is a Wonka bar, but due to it looking so much like the milka bar, it will never be iconic or memorable. 


These are other variations of the wonka bar that i have come across none of them have the impact that the classic design of the wonka bar has, and due to this reason I will stick to the original Wonka bar aesthetics whilst designing the wedding favour.

Wonka bar history :



Invitations :

What I have been asked to create is in itself a cheesy and mass produced concept, but I will make it as uncheesy as I can, I aim to create something that has a classic look and not the look of the gimmicky Wonka stuff you ca see below that has been re created for similar events.






The designs are all pretty horrific and are the opposite of what I want the wedding favour to look like when I've designed it. The designs are all digital, and I think is some way this adds to how brash the designs are so I will research into alternatives.


Illustration style :


I found this original book for Charlie and the Chocolate bar which  uses the wonka bar style design as the hard back cover and uses it in a way that does not look tacky or cheesy. This is what I want the wedding favour to be like, to have a classic feel.



These are the original drawings done for the book by Joseph Schindelman. They are hand drawn and have a lot of character which matches the book as the book is full of eccentric characters. These drawings are not garish or tacky like the modern day variations, I will try emulate this by using the same technique as Joseph Schindelman and hand draw my design.

No comments:

Post a Comment