Tuesday 16 April 2013

RESPONSIVE : YCN - Churchill

Make Winston Chuchill Famous :

Below is the survey that caused Churchill insurance to set the brief in the first place. It shows that a lot more people recognise Churchill the dog rather than Winston Churchill, which Churchill insurance want to change, so have set the brief to make Churchill famous.


Research :

To make sure I have a good knowledge of Winston Churchill and who he was as a person I have decided to start this project by doing some extensive research into Churchill. This way I will be able to pull up the characteristics that made Churchill such an iconic figure.

below are the websites that I used to inform myself about Churchill. They were all reallly useful and fed me lots of information on my subject , which I did not know that much about before. One of the reasons I chose this brief was that I didnt know alot about Churchill and wanted a challenge to become an expert in a new area. 

At the end of researching into Churchill I filled out an exercise paper set by Teachers that I found online to see how well I could complete it to see what my knowledge was like, at I was pretty happy with the outcome so felt ready to move on and start generating concepts.












excersice paper

These are some genuine letters and speachers from Churchill's time in power. I found it really interesting seeing things that Churchill would have seen and read off. History is an amazing thing and seeing the real thing is fasenating. All of the letters have been typed which is something to bear in mind as something that I could incorporate into my design process.





Soldiers :

Winston was a big collector of toy soldiers. I find this a really quirky interest and is a hobby that people will be able to relate to with him as collecting things is a very popular hobby. Churchill's collection of toy soilders can be seen on display at the museum at Blenhiem Palace.





Artist :

Churchill was an artist. He loved to paint and was very talented at it. This is another hobby of Churchill that people will be able to relate to. He is a very interesting man with lots of hobbies and interests, which at the end of the day makes you a more interesting person, as they have passion, and arnt just wandering aimlesly on the earth.

below are two examples of Churchill's paintings -



As Churchill was such a key figure he had many things made of him such as stamps. Churchill was a key figure of the war and a popular man so he was celebrated. which is a massive contrast to now, as everyone during the war and for many year after new who Churchill was but now it seems he's getting forgotten which is a bit concerning as he is a big part of history.




Concepts :

From what I have learnt about Churchill I have been researching things to develop into concepts:

3d paper dolls -



I think the flat paper doll that you then consturct is a really fun concept that is playful and interactive, which would be engaging for my audience. This concept could be aplied in many ways, such as to Churchill or to his toy soldiers ( see below ). This concept is definitley one I will investigate, but I think it might be a little bit too obvious and may be an idea that is done by others entering the competition.


I used to find this way of packaging small parts of DIY kits so fasenating as a child. I used to love the satisfaction of twisting the parts out of the plastic frame. This could be aplied to the toy soldier side of Churchill.


Fan Pack :

I really love this fan pack, I think it is really playful and entertainingand could work well in a Churchill concept as a fan pack for him, maybe making a foam hand in the victory sign instead of pointing. could be a fun one to play with.

Mask :

Masks are good fun to play with and celebrity ones are always popular. This hand drawn style is really interesting, it has more personality than the photograph ones, as they could be made by any one by printing a picture of anyone they want from online, but this is more unique and could only get by buying it or downloading it. Makes it of more value.


Bulldog :

The bulldog is a part of the Churchill's image, and is an icon for him. It is also the icon for churchill the insurance company so this could be a way of combing the two.

 

This is an oragami bulldog that you can me, but it does look complecated from the instructions, so I shall bear that in mind when Im deciding concepts.

Bulldog shadow puppet is a fun idea.

Where's Winston?

Where's wally? is a very iconic game, everyone knows who wally is and recognises him. There are now dress up night dedicated to wally which shows the power of this book, where you have to remember what wally looks like and find him within a crowd of people. This could be an interesting concept to continue with but with Churchill instead of wally.


Dress up :

Churchill has a very disticnt image of top hate / bowler hat, cigar and spoty bow tie. I wouldnt want to make a or supply a fake cigar as it would not be suitable to give to young children as it could be seen as encouraging them to smoke. So I have looked into how to create a paper top hat and paper bow tie. both of which work really well.



Paper hat. This look reletivly easy to make, but I shall try it for myself if I take this up as a concept.



Bow tie.

Memorabilia :

Below is a pack designed by yes studio that is celebrating the life of Paul McCartney. It features a viriety of things that a specific to his like such as his music, hand writen lyrics, photographs  and unseen photographs. It is a really lovely package of things, and is a good way to celebrate someone. This kind of angle could be taken for the Churchill brief of making him famous by supplying a pack featuring things to do with him.







Concept decision : Who is Winston Churchill ?

I have decided to go for the angle of creating a pack that celebrate Churchill's but in an interactive way, that is playful and interesting for my younger audience.

Pack design :

I want the pack to have a similar look to an envelope from churchill's time so having a stamp on the back, or something similar. I want the front to look more modern and apealing for my audience.



I really like the use of coloured text on this envelope I think it really stands out and makes the envelope more striking against the monochrome design. It looks interesting and would make you want to open it and explore.



Below is a magazine cover. I really like the use of die cut for the face, it makes the magazine looked very uniqiue and mysterious as you dont know who's face is cut out. This could be a process that I could bring into the project maybe cutting out the face of churchill on pack to add an air of mystery and match the name ' Who is Winston Churchill? '



I really enjoy the two posters bellow. The poster on the left is by Zoran Lucic and is from a series celebrating footlballers. I love the vintage but modern feel to the posters, achieved by using old imagery and a bold colour. The simplicity is also really lovely, it maintains all the focus on the footballer. I really like the colour of the background it works well with the greyscale image and is bold, but not too over powering.



On the right is a magazine cover for Rome based NERO. I really love the simplicity of this design, and once again how they have achieved a vintage but modern feel. This is definitley the angle I want to go with in my designs.



Poster using an interesting layout for the type. Contemporary feel with a nice use of grey scaled image, works well.

Bulldog :

I came across this image of a dog dressed as Churchill when I was searching for images of Churchill. I think it is a playful way of representing churchill and could work well as a humorous part of the pack by showing that Churchill is not a dog. it would also be a sutble tie into Churchill the insurance.


Primary research :

Own pictures of my bulldog







Layout :

I want the layout for all of my pack to be simple as I want the information to be clear and not complicated. Bellow are some examples of clean clear layout design.










Scratch card :

One of my concepts for the pack is a scratch card so I have looked into how to make them yourself DIY.

All it is is washing up liquid and acrylic paint. The look is really effective and is deffinitley something I will be going forward with.

No comments:

Post a Comment