Saturday 21 December 2013

COP3 : Magazine practical research

Magazine research:

As I am creating a magazine I decided it would be wise to look at some magazines to decide what sort of visual style I want to achieve. I decided to look at my own collection of magazines rather than source online magazine as I think id get a better feel from looking at a primary souce magazine that is real life in front of me so I can see the actual point size of the typography and format, size stock of the magazine etc.

From looking at the magazine it became clear to me that the style I want to achieve is a minimalistic style take for example Cereal magazine I really like how clean the layout is and how much the text breaths on the page it makes it a lot easier to take in both the text and the imagery because there are no over complications , I really like this style of editorial design especially when I compare it to another magazine like creative review, which is full of interesting articles, but because they are so busy and sometime feature advertisement I find reading the magazine very distracting and often end up not soaking in the information or missing things or just giving up all together. Grafik magazine would be like a half way house between the two it has more visually going in it then in Cereal magazine but, the layout feels a lot simpler compared to creative review, maybe this is due to the format, Grakik is standard a4 size, where as Creative review is square. Grafik works well and holds my attention when reading it.

For my magazine I want to achieve the sparse look as I want my audience to face no distractions this magazine is about creativity and I don't want my audiences attention to wander whilst reading the interviews, but I do want their mind to freely wander the page. I want the actuall act of the audience to let their attention and mind wander freely together on the break pages where there will be creative tasks like inviting them to doodle on a person face.

I am going to really consider things like stock when it comes to the magazine as after looking at these magazine I can see how important it is, so I will purchase some decent print paper at 120gsm so that the images don't show through but it is still thin enough to work as paper.


Grafik -





Curious Iconic craft -





Creative Review





Cereal -





No comments:

Post a Comment