Friday 1 November 2013

COP3 : Tutorial 1

Tutorial one :

Feedback -


During this tutorial we discussed possible ways I can make my essay topic more focused. Simon advised me that I should probably direct the essay towards or take the perspective from a graphic design point, as this would make the essay appropriate to my chosen profession. I wasn't planing on directly associating my written element of cop3 to graphic design as I was going from the point of view of graphic design is a creative profession and output which envolves creative mentality, I was going to associate it to graphic design through my practical outcome as that would be a product of graphic design. But after speaking to Simon I do see that it is more appropriate for me to relate my essay to graphic design in some way, and this would also give me a greater focus as I wasn't planning on talking about creative as in 'the creative artist' I was going to explore creative thinkers such as scientist, inventors designers etc, so there will definitely be a greater focus on my profession towards graphic design by taking Simons advise. 

We then moved on to talk about my practical element. I was planning on proposing an exhibition curating it and also creating the concept, branding and identity, and promotional goods.  This would tie in with the essay that was more focused on how to develop creativity within society. Taking a person and running the creativity tests that have been used to register creative abilities that have recently been evolved to be able to figure out how to develop creativity. The exhibition would be a documentary of this process. 

If I decide to use a graphic design stance in my essay on creativity I will have to change the practical element we spoke about possible outcomes and decided that an appropriate one may be a platform that graphic designers can use to find out about how to develop creativity / get over the design hump when ideas cease to come. this could be the format of a handbook or website or documentary. It is something to think about and consider when deciding the focus of my essay. 

We also spoke about primary research and ways of approaching contacting professional graphic designers. Simon warned that I should be careful when wording my questions not to write the word 'creative' as sometimes this word has an adverse effect on people.

To Do :

- focus essay
- decide practical
- compose interview questions for professional graphic designers 
- define creativity through research and questionnaires. 

No comments:

Post a Comment