Tuesday 12 November 2013

COP3 : Feedback John

John Watters

As John is experienced in contacting and talking with Graphic designers who work within industry I decided to use a tutorial I had scheduled with him to talk through the questions I had prepared to send to professional designers. His advise was to keep the number of questions down to a minimum as it will seem less time consuming for the recipient to do, and time is not something that working professionals have on their hands. It is also beneficial to make the questions not too intimidating in length or language or not to sound pretentious. When contacting professional it is important to maintain a level of professionalism but also to be friendly and represent your personality.

Other advise John gave me to do with my dissertation is......


I sent John the revised questions to get is feedback and this was my reply.....

Hi John,

Following our talk we had the other week, I was just wondering if I could get some feed back on the questions I have written to send out to designers.. they are below:


Is the process of coming up with an idea quite mechanical or is more of a sudden moment of inspiration?
What do you think the importance of 'creativity' is within Graphic Design?
Do you harness what 'creativity' you have or do you think it can be developed further?

I'm struggling to word the bottom one, does it make any sense? I have also made a quick survey monkey, just to generate a wider range of opinions..
any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
thanks,
Suzanne


Hi Suzanne,

I completed your survey, it is a simplistic one and what is good about it is that it allows the responder to be 'creative' and individual in the answers. Especially the last one. As I probably have said before, being creative is like being a nurse, a vicar or a nun, it is what I feel is a calling from somewhere in our psyche that demands us to do what we do?

This may not help, but it is my view and if you want to discuss further...anytime.

Best as ever
John


Hi Suzanne,

Just thinking about:
Do you harness what 'creativity' you have or do you think it can be developed further?
I feel we build on cumulative experience in creative work, all ideas can be developed, it is simply the
application of 'relevant' data and research to achieve a directed outcome. The extent we apply this use of creative thought is
to answer a specific brief. However we should be aware of the fact that there are more possibilities above and beyond the
brief, meaning creativity is endless. That is why we need to review our work and critique what our desired outcomes really are
and not simply running out of time. Like creativity time is endless too.

Best
John



I still think some of the questions need work as I want them to be spot on and relevant to what I want to find out otherwise this bit of primary research would become unusable which would be a shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment