Saturday 26 October 2013

COP3 : Ethics evaluation

Ethics :

In the last lecture it was advised that we complete an ethics evaluation to make sure we are going about research / subject in the correct manner. The things we were told to consider are as follows :

Ethics:
consider the ethical implications of your project.
– Does the research involve human participants?
- Does the study involved the vulnerable or people who can't have a voice?
– Consent from people if they are involved
– are there issues of safety
– could it induce psychological stress, anxiety
– anonymity
– people have the right to withdraw.

The actual subject of my essay is not one that would cause ethical concern but through my research and practical piece there will be contact with people, so it is important that I outline ways I can make sure my project is ethical.

My research will involve conducting interviews with designers, questionnaires, and the participation with people during creativity tests. All this will involve working with people, so to make sure it is all ethically correct I will have to outline clearly what my aims are, what I am using the research for and how I am going to use it (if appropriate). After I have outlined my side of things I will have to seek connect,  this could be done through a form of just through the person actually participating it will outline they consent to me using it. Some people may not want to be names so I will have to factor in if they have wishes of anonymity. There will be no issues within my research or practical as far as I know to do with safety, but if something develops in  my project where there could be an element of danger or accidents I will have to address this and find ways of combating it or ensuring if there are people involved that they are ok with it and do hold the right to withdraw if they are not happy, but like I said at this moment in time there are no safety issues. My practical at the moment is all based around working with someone and conducting creative experiments / workshops and documenting it. The person I have in mind is onboard with this as I have spoken to them and explained if I am going to do this, how I would do it and what it would involve, but If I do go ahead with this practical I will put it out in writing exactly what I am going to do and check that my subject is ok for me to document it as it will end up online etc, and I will get the person to sign it as a record that they are ok and their are no ethical issues. 

As far as I can see I have covered all ethical issues that may present themselves during my project if anymore develop over the course I will address them.

No comments:

Post a Comment